Savage Marches

Allting som har med gammalt hederligt pappersrollspel att göra.
AshesFall
Centurion - Befälhavare
Centurion - Befälhavare
Namn: Johan Larsson

Re: Savage Marches

Inlägg av AshesFall »

Thank you nDervish, happy to be aboard! :D

I'm not quite sure about the system and so on, thanks for the pointers. I did try to make some changes, but also have some questions (naturally, since I dont know the first thing about how the system really works :P).

As I understand it, both the host and the Song now have powers based on their arcane backgrounds, and power pools. Are these pools entirely separate and can only be used for their respective powers, or a general pool used for both sets of powers? In that case, is the general pool (if it works that way) 10 or 20 points? I got from your post that the Wizard edge only works for the hosts powers.

I chose the arcane background for the Song as well, and changed my major Hindrance to "elderly" seeing as I described him as elderly in the background. That also gives me some skillpoints to use for the spellcasting skill on the host that you mentioned.

I changed the stats around a bit and chose some powers that I thought were thematic and useful on the song. I'm not sure how the trappings for the powers work, i.e. which powers should have them and which benefits should apply. Maybe something we can discuss?

Character v2;

Song Character: The song of Endings

Song; Carina Round – For everything a reason
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKqgE8z7PcA

Arcane Background: Magic (Backlash; if roll 1 on spellcasting die = Shaken)

Powers: Boost/Lower Trait, Deflection (Darkness/Shroud), Burst (Light/Beam)

Power Points: 10

Agility: d4
Smarts: d6
Spirit: d4
Strength: d4
Vigor: d4
Spellcasting: d6

Host Character: Gamrell

Agility: d4 Charisma: +0
Smarts: d8 Pace: 5
Spirit: d4 Parry: 7 (+1 for staff)
Strength: d4 Toughness: 7 (+1 for leather armor)
Vigor: d8

Skills:

Knowledge [Arcana]: d10
Spellcasting: d10
Fighting: d8
Stealth: d4
Survival: d4
Notice: d6
Persuasion: d4

Powers: Summon Ally, Analyze Foe, Bolt (Fire/Flammable)

Edges:

Familiar (Raven)
Wizard
Arcane Background

Hindrances:

All thumbs, Cautious, Elderly

Gear:
Staff: str+d4, Parry +1, Reach 1, 2 hands, 2SI [Cost 10]
Leather Armor hauberk: +1 Armor, 2SI [Cost 50]
Backpack/pack animal bags [Cost: 50]
Lantern [Cost: 25]
“Standard assorted adventure gear”: Gifted by villagers within reason
Common clothing, including warm winter clothes, belts, boots, minor carrying pouches etc

Avarice “Avvy” (also known as “you stubborn bastard”): Gnarled and ill-tempered Mule. Carrying capacity, 32 SI [Cost: 150]
nDervish
Custos Castrorum - Nyckelbärare
Namn: Dave Sherohman

Inlägg av nDervish »

AshesFall skrev:I'm not quite sure about the system and so on, thanks for the pointers. I did try to make some changes, but also have some questions (naturally, since I dont know the first thing about how the system really works :P).
Looks good on a once-over, at least. I'll put him into my own database and might notice something there, but I don't expect to find any problems.

One minor error is that, under Savage Armory (link on the wiki's Encumbrance page), leather armor is $100 rather than $50, but, on the other hand, a pack and animal bags fall under "standard adventuring gear", so you don't have to spend the $50 on those and the two errors cancel each other out. :D
AshesFall skrev:As I understand it, both the host and the Song now have powers based on their arcane backgrounds, and power pools. Are these pools entirely separate and can only be used for their respective powers, or a general pool used for both sets of powers? In that case, is the general pool (if it works that way) 10 or 20 points?
Two separate 10-point pools.
AshesFall skrev:I got from your post that the Wizard edge only works for the hosts powers.
Correct.
AshesFall skrev:I changed the stats around a bit and chose some powers that I thought were thematic and useful on the song. I'm not sure how the trappings for the powers work, i.e. which powers should have them and which benefits should apply. Maybe something we can discuss?
Sure, I'm happy to answer any questions. I'd also recommend looking at the Savage Spellbok for examples/ideas of powers with trappings applied. Zadmar's done some pretty impressive customizations in there and he is the ultimate balance fanatic on the official Savage Worlds forum, so I trust anything he puts out to be balanced (and he's probably run at least 10,000 simulated battles to prove it).
AshesFall skrev:Avarice “Avvy” (also known as “you stubborn bastard”): Gnarled and ill-tempered Mule. Carrying capacity, 32 SI [Cost: 150]
I like it! :D
I post in English, but can read Swedish. When replying to me, either language works.
AshesFall
Centurion - Befälhavare
Centurion - Befälhavare
Namn: Johan Larsson

Inlägg av AshesFall »

I'll have a look in the spellbook. :)

Those separate ten point pools, can they only pay for the respective powers, or any power the character as a whole has?
nDervish

Inlägg av nDervish »

AshesFall skrev:Those separate ten point pools, can they only pay for the respective powers, or any power the character as a whole has?
Respective powers.

Also, note to everyone:

I will not be there early tomorrow, so plan on starting around 18. This is basically because I'm not sure whether everyone knows to be there early. We can plan on 16 for Thursday, though.
I post in English, but can read Swedish. When replying to me, either language works.
nDervish

Inlägg av nDervish »

Ack! Just realized that I forgot all my physical gaming paraphernalia at home this morning. I won't have henchman summary slips or AoE attack templates with me tonight, but I don't think there was anything else I actually used aside from what I have digitally.

Speaking of digital game resources, though, I set up a copy of my character database on my public server last night at http://sherohman.org/savage_marches/ At this point, there's no real need to create an account, as the combat stats summary (the live version of the one I posted here yesterday) and the full song/deva/henchman character sheets should all be public.

If you do want to create an account, you can, but I don't have email verification working yet (it's a very low priority...), so I'll need to manually activate any accounts. Again, though, it won't let you do anything yet that you can't do without an account. I will be adding the ability to assign characters to players, who will then be able to update the character data online (as opposed to me having to do it), but I don't expect to have that in place until next month, at the earliest.
Användarens profilbild
bladerunner_35
Auxilia - Tvångsrekryterad
Namn: Björn Söderström
Kontakt:

Inlägg av bladerunner_35 »

Hello everyone and especially Dave!

I have been working and haven't kept up to date with the thread.

As I understand you guys play tomorrow and then we play again on thursday at 16. Is that correct?

Filip pointed out a mistake I made with one of the Grim brothers and I'll make sure to correct that before thursday along with exchanging the Armour power for my Song (and possible the edge for my Host as well). Is there anything else I need to do before thursday?
"There is nothing else. Existence is random, has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it to long."

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
nDervish

Inlägg av nDervish »

bladerunner_35 skrev:As I understand you guys play tomorrow and then we play again on thursday at 16. Is that correct?
Correct!
bladerunner_35 skrev:Filip pointed out a mistake I made with one of the Grim brothers and I'll make sure to correct that before thursday along with exchanging the Armour power for my Song (and possible the edge for my Host as well). Is there anything else I need to do before thursday?
Other than claiming any loot that you might want, I think that should be it.
Användarens profilbild
bladerunner_35
Kontakt:

Neither I, nor Enock or the Song of lamentation and obedience care for the loot much - other than that it is distributed in an orderly fashion. Enock's share will be given to the community and anything useful (weapons and armour) put into the armoury if he has anything to say about it.
"There is nothing else. Existence is random, has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it to long."

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
santoan

Inlägg av santoan »

Hello everyone!

I was on the wh40k table with Peck and Loffe yday, but I also took a tour to you guys after I heard alot of laughter and joy...so I got curious and had to check what you guys were doing. Before that I was talking to Sebastian who told me a little bit bout roleplaying and I got quite fascinated. And to me, I have heard about roleplaying but mostly I have this geeky image of young fellows with wizardhats and 70 piles of books, 200 dices and such... but you guys gave me a new point of view and make it sound and look tempting. :oops:

So I was wondering...is there a chance I could join in on the next campaign or next roleyplaying game you guys setup? :roll: .

As I mentione above...I have no experience of roleplaying and would like to atleast try it out a little. ^_^

/Sal (hairy dude from yday)
nDervish

Inlägg av nDervish »

Since we were talking about trappings for powers last night, here are a couple threads on the official SW forum that came up on G+:

http://www.peginc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=40009
http://www.peginc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=391401

They're basically the discussions that Savage Spellbook grew out of, but Zadmar left a lot of things out because he didn't want to include other people's spells without their explicit permission. I haven't read them yet, but I expect them to be full of good ideas... So if you haven't added trappings to your powers yet, read up and add some! :D
santoan skrev:I was on the wh40k table with Peck and Loffe yday, but I also took a tour to you guys after I heard alot of laughter and joy...so I got curious and had to check what you guys were doing.
Yeah, I thought you looked kind of interested last night. :)
santoan skrev:And to me, I have heard about roleplaying but mostly I have this geeky image of young fellows with wizardhats and 70 piles of books, 200 dices and such...
Oh... umm... no... That sort of thing never happens...
Jan1DnD.jpg
santoan skrev:So I was wondering...is there a chance I could join in on the next campaign or next roleyplaying game you guys setup? :roll: .
You're certainly welcome to join the campaign we were playing last night if you'd like. Last night was just our fourth session and one of the players was new. Even among the players who have been in the game from the start, Sebastian's the only one to have showed up for all of them, so you wouldn't be that far behind everyone else.

If you're interested in joining, the other major place to look for information aside from this thread is the campaign wiki at http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/savage-marches You'd need to decide for yourself what kind of character you want to play, but we can take care of the mechanical parts of getting that concept into the game for you.
santoan

Inlägg av santoan »

Yaaay, thanks Dave!

As for character...hmmm is Duror Babywrecker chosen? He seems like a juggernaut, I like that, I pick him if no one has picked him. ^_^

So when is it besides mondays 18:00? :)
Användarens profilbild
bladerunner_35
Kontakt:

santoan skrev:Duror Babywrecker chosen?
An excellent choise but you read his name wrong - it's Ghoulwrecker. No worries, a common mistake. Just. Don't. Do. It. Ever. Again.
santoan skrev:So when is it besides mondays 18:00? :)
We play tomorrow at 16!

Speaking of which. Rumours of the....strategic withdrawal from Close Inn has reached the ears of Enock.

Should we head back to Close Inn to finish what you started, or perhaps even dare to venture further?

I am thinking that since it seems that we will be able to muster a very strong force tomorrow, especially if the rumours are true and Ghoulwrecker has been chosen for a Song, that we should make the best of our resources and dare to go to Brassport!

Who says aye?!

Bogdan: Aye!

Bogumir: AYE!!!

Borislav: ....aye.

santoan

Inlägg av santoan »

I will indeed... Tomorrow I will join you all on the epic story with my javelin (from the friidrottsförening) :D
Användarens profilbild
bladerunner_35
Kontakt:

I have updated Bogumir now.

Instead of Block he is now a Berserker.

I suggest you do not correct me again....

;)

nDervish

Inlägg av nDervish »

santoan skrev:As for character...hmmm is Duror Babywrecker chosen? He seems like a juggernaut, I like that, I pick him if no one has picked him. ^_^
OK, that takes care of your host body. You can view Duror's full stats at:
http://sherohman.org/savage_marches/dis ... oulwrecker

He's also possessed by a "Song", which is basically a psychic symbiote that gives supernatural powers, so there are three things you need to decide about that:

1) What general type of powers do you want? So far, the player characters include magicians, miracle-workers, alchemists, sorcerors, psychics, and even a weird scientist (his "supernatural power" is making crazy steampunk gadgets). You can take any one of those or you can describe something else and I'll create the game statistics for it.

2) What can you actually do with your powers? Depending on the type of powers you have, you'll start with between one and three abilities (i.e., magic spells, weird science devices, known potion recipes, etc.). Again, don't worry too much about the specifics of what the listed abilities are in the game, just describe your ideas and I'll work out the best approximation of them within the game's mechanics.

3) What song is it?

(Side note: It will be interesting to see how Duror reacts to his Song, given that he has the "Doubting Thomas" flaw... "Nothing supernatural exists!" "But you have supernatural powers." "...")
santoan skrev:So when is it besides mondays 18:00? :)
Really, it's pretty much whenever someone wants to set up a session. We don't officially play every Monday, it's just a night that seems to work well for most of us. If you want to initiate scheduling a game at another time, feel free!
bladerunner_35 skrev:We play tomorrow at 16!
I thought it was Thursday at 16... Tomorrow is only Wednesday.

So, how many do we have for Thursday? I know we've definitely got Enock and Jonaleth. Duror and Gamrell sound likely, but I'm not entirely sure. Definitely not Spellbutcher. And I have no idea about Mouri or Dree.

And the sooner you decide on a direction to go (Close Inn? Brassport? Elsewhere?), the better, so that I know where to focus my attention for prep.
Användarens profilbild
bladerunner_35
Kontakt:

Right sorry, I got carried away. Thursday it is.

I think Mouri is renovating her kitchen so won't join in anytime soon.

Edit: who's Gamrell?

santoan

Inlägg av santoan »

Ohh awesome. ehum...
hmm.. My Song power:
1. Making Steampunk Gadgets :D (Weird scientist)
2.What I can do with my powers is...I build stuff from spare parts, mostly I like doing stuff that can fly because I have this thing of flying objects.But everyone dunno how I do those stuff since some things deny the laws of physics :D (good/bad?)
3. I am not sure what Song means exactly, I am trying to find it on the Savage Marches site you gave me :(
nDervish

Inlägg av nDervish »

bladerunner_35 skrev:Edit: who's Gamrell?
Last night's new player. An old wizard who tried to teach proper magic to Jonaleth, but spent several years failing at it.
santoan skrev:1. Making Steampunk Gadgets :D (Weird scientist)
OK, Weird Science will start you out with one device that does... something. Somehow.
santoan skrev:2.What I can do with my powers is...I build stuff from spare parts, mostly I like doing stuff that can fly because I have this thing of flying objects.
Hmm... You need to get to Veteran rank (which should take about 15-20 play sessions on average, so not exactly a short-term goal) to get the Flight power. You could start out with Feather Fall right away at Novice rank (allows you and any others nearby to float slowly downward and take no falling damage), then upgrade to Levitation (lets you move up and down, but not horizontally) when you reach Seasoned rank (7-10 play sessions) and finally get full Flight at Veteran.

Another direction you could go with it would be to get the Speed ability (makes you run twice as fast) and describe your speed boost as a device that lets you fly just a few cm above the ground.

There is one way that you could fly right away, but that's by taking Shape Change and turning into a bird. You'd need a pretty good explanation for how you would do that with Weird Science. :D

Anyone else have ideas/suggestions for him?
santoan skrev:3. I am not sure what Song means exactly, I am trying to find it on the Savage Marches site you gave me :(
In the context of question #3, I meant "song" in the normal sense of the word. Find a song which fits the feel of what you want your character to be like and give us a youtube link for a video of it so that we can all listen to your character's theme song. :D
santoan

Inlägg av santoan »

Yeah Speed booster would be awesome :D (since im obese, I need to have something that makes me faster)
and my song.... hmm..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wfboKtXdUo - It catches the only joy and rational thing I know: feeling the wind on my large eyebrows tickle my forehead
nDervish

Inlägg av nDervish »

Updated the Session 3 and Session 4 pages with the loot share amounts for each and updated the character records in my database with your new money totals based on those loot shares.

Now that my character database is online in a permanent/public location, I plan to use that as the official record of the characters and stop updating Obsidian Portal. Any mechanical changes to characters will need to go through me, since I'm the only one who can update that database, at least for now. (I hope to have time to make it editable online sometime next month, but no promises.)

I also added a Hoard page to the wiki listing items which have been looted, but not yet claimed, added to the armory, or sold.
Skriv svar