Interface Zero: Upgrade in Progress

Allting som har med gammalt hederligt pappersrollspel att göra.
nDervish
Custos Castrorum - Nyckelbärare
Namn: Dave Sherohman

Re: Interface Zero: Upgrade in Progress

Inlägg av nDervish »

Rekreativc skrev: What I want to throw out there before before Monday is that I have a problem with "rich" (out of game). I feel that use of this edge/benefit is somewhat ruining the game for me. I feel that with all of the expensive toys being thrown around we are limiting our imaginations and our inventiveness is suffering for it.
I suggest this is another thing we should think about and discuss on Monday.
Yep, that was already on my list of things to talk about Monday.

And, now that I've admitted to having a list, I guess I should share what else is on it:
  • Mal vs. Paladin/PVP in general
  • Money/proliferation of Rich edges
  • Long-term plot directions
  • Skill Specializations, yea or nay?
  • Use Reputation or not? Heavy armor != stylish!
  • Puzzles
  • Death effects
If there's anything else we need to discuss, let me know and I can add it to the list. If any items are unclear (it was written to prod my own memory, not to get ideas across to other people), I'm happy to explain them.
I post in English, but can read Swedish. When replying to me, either language works.
Användarens profilbild
bladerunner_35
Auxilia - Tvångsrekryterad
Namn: Björn Söderström
Kontakt:

Inlägg av bladerunner_35 »

While it is pretty low on the list in order of priorities I wanted to talk a little about rules tweaking. Maybe it's something that we can do through the forum once we've sorted all these other issues.

To keep it short I do not mind rules tweaking in itself but it becomes an issue if the rules change a little all the time. I haven't kept up with your discussions CW and Dave (mostly because my eyes glaze over when I try to read your calculations) but at the risk of making everyone very angry with me I have asked myself if we are using the right system if the need to tweak it is (apparently) so great. Maybe we need more crunch, or maybe less. Maybe it's not worth the effort or maybe it's not an issue but it's something that's been on my mind for a while.

Oh, and feel free to clarify the points about Puzzles and Death Effects. I can guess but would rather not. It's always good to think a little about where we stand before we meet up on monday.
"There is nothing else. Existence is random, has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it to long."

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
jeronimooo

Inlägg av jeronimooo »

*Mal vs. Paladin/PVP in general >> monday

*Money/proliferation of Rich edges I don't think Mal's Rich edge will cause any issues, especially not if employing Ryder as a Bodyguard (won't change that much in game but will be an effective money-sink for me, whilst giving Ryder and Mal a more common reason to hang out.

*Long-term plot directions:
I think it is a great idea if everyone would give a short description of their characters main ambition... That way we could see how we can combine them into a bigger main theme storyline that works for most if not all of our characters... It will also make it easier for Dave I guess to give us more suited missions
Mal wants to (at some point at least) infiltrate in the NAC to find out what kind of mission his sister was on and what happened to her. I aim to have this tied in with my niece actually being ''kidnapped'' by the NAC to have some pressure to use against my sister who survived but got captured and has resisted giving up crucial intel on an AI she destroyed or deactivated and hid away or something... It could then turn out in a very white hat rescue operation (possibly combined with outright overthrowing the NAC, something a number of PC's in our group won't mind at all)

*Skill Specializations, yea or nay?
My 2 cents: are they really necessary? if yes keep em, if not, why bother...

*Use Reputation or not? Heavy armor != stylish!
Big favourite of using reputation! But I would like for reputation to have some more influence in the game as well (from what I could find teh only effect is wether or not a character can call in favors, but correct me if I am wrong)

*Puzzles
not a big fan, but not dead set against it... fine either way we go on this...

*Death effects
I'd say reset of character with -1 advances works fine... inherit gear or get new starting credits is debatable...

*rules changes: I kind of agree with bjorn (or at least how I interpret bjorns post): We should try to settle on a set of rules and then just stick with them and not upgrade whenever a new tidbit of 2.0 is released... Maybe we should have 1 more rules upgrade session when the full 2.0 is released and all the rules are available...
Användarens profilbild
bladerunner_35
Kontakt:

jeronimooo skrev:I think it is a great idea if everyone would give a short description of their characters main ambition... That way we could see how we can combine them into a bigger main theme storyline that works for most if not all of our characters... It will also make it easier for Dave I guess to give us more suited missions.
I also think we should account for player motivations, i.e.:

What are your character's short and long term goals with the campaign?

What are your (as a player) goals with the campaign?

Ryder Lewis
I tried to create a pretty simple character that could be developed and drawn into major plotlines without much fuss. Ryder is in it for the money. Not because of greed but because he needs an income to support his father and himself. To him doing missions is a job. A job he takes seriously but a job nevertheless. He has no real short or long term goals other than to get by, do right by his father and try not to get his hands dirty (relating to doing very bad things, not to working hard). I am not completely familiar with the term white hat but as I understand it Ryder is very much a white hat. Ryder is also very patriotic and would not consiously support something that would undermine Free Chichago.

Ryder being an all american hero is something that I do not mind changing or letting go of for the good of the campaign but if I had the choice I would prefer him to follow a slippery slope of forced choices and hard decisions (character development). If it comes to that I could also roll a completely new character if it would mean that some of the issues are laid to rest.

Myself as a player
I want to be part of a long running campaign (talking months of real time and tens of sessions) simply because I have not done this much before and want to explore that side of roleplaying.

I want the campaign to both have interesting and tactical combats as well as interesting and meaningful meetings with NPCs. Not all play time should be focus on overcoming a problem, winning a combat or a negotiation. There should be time for simply exploring our characters and their relationships with eachother and the world. This is secondary to the main focus on the campaign but nevertheless important.

I want the campaign to have a strong theme that is slowly revealed/discovered through play. With this I mean that the campaign follow a major plot line.
"There is nothing else. Existence is random, has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it to long."

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
nDervish

Inlägg av nDervish »

bladerunner_35 skrev: To keep it short I do not mind rules tweaking in itself but it becomes an issue if the rules change a little all the time. I haven't kept up with your discussions CW and Dave (mostly because my eyes glaze over when I try to read your calculations) but at the risk of making everyone very angry with me I have asked myself if we are using the right system if the need to tweak it is (apparently) so great. Maybe we need more crunch, or maybe less. Maybe it's not worth the effort or maybe it's not an issue but it's something that's been on my mind for a while.
It's not a deficiency in the system, it's (a deficiency in? ;) ) me. I tweak rules constantly in the same way that a gearhead is always adjusting the timing on his car's engine. It's not that there's anything wrong with it, it's just fun to poke at it and see whether I can make it a little better (even if it's only "better" in a way that only I will ever notice).
bladerunner_35 skrev: Oh, and feel free to clarify the points about Puzzles and Death Effects. I can guess but would rather not. It's always good to think a little about where we stand before we meet up on monday.
Puzzles: At the end of the Thursday night session after my return from Stockholm, David asked what I thought about adding what he called "puzzle-based play". I asked for an explanation of what he meant, and my understanding is that he didn't really mean "puzzles" as I think of them, but more generally "obstacles which must be overcome using player skill instead of character skill".

Death Effects: What happens when your character dies? SWD RAW says that your next character starts with one less Advance than the old one. My personal preference is to start a new character who's fresh out of the gate with 0 XP (but I don't really expect anyone else to favor that). There's also the question of dubs and how they factor into this.
jeronimooo skrev: I think it is a great idea if everyone would give a short description of their characters main ambition...
Agreed. We've already added Motivations to the characters, but not really talked about their long-term goals as yet.
jeronimooo skrev: Big favourite of using reputation! But I would like for reputation to have some more influence in the game as well (from what I could find teh only effect is wether or not a character can call in favors, but correct me if I am wrong)
In the IZv1 system, Reputation has five effects:
  1. If you've burned through all your Street Cred, you can spend Rep to gain extra favors
  2. If your Rep is 0 or less, you can't ask for favors at all
  3. If your Rep is 10 or higher, you effectively get one extra point of Street Cred per full 10 Rep
  4. When making social tests (Intimidation, Persuasion, Streetwise, Taunt), you can gamble some of your Rep for a bonus, but you lose that Rep if you fail
  5. Conversely, if your Rep is below 0, you take a penalty on all social tests
In addition to those effects from IZv1 RAW, I would also use Rep as a factor in determining whether or not anyone contacts you for personal missions - the better your Rep, the more likely people are to come to you for help.
I post in English, but can read Swedish. When replying to me, either language works.
Användarens profilbild
bladerunner_35
Kontakt:

nDervish skrev:In the IZv1 system, Reputation has five effects:
  1. If you've burned through all your Street Cred, you can spend Rep to gain extra favors
  2. If your Rep is 0 or less, you can't ask for favors at all
  3. If your Rep is 10 or higher, you effectively get one extra point of Street Cred per full 10 Rep
  4. When making social tests (Intimidation, Persuasion, Streetwise, Taunt), you can gamble some of your Rep for a bonus, but you lose that Rep if you fail
  5. Conversely, if your Rep is below 0, you take a penalty on all social tests
In addition to those effects from IZv1 RAW, I would also use Rep as a factor in determining whether or not anyone contacts you for personal missions - the better your Rep, the more likely people are to come to you for help.
For this to make sense you need to give us a couple of examples of what gives good and bad rep.

You mentioned heavy armour and style. I assume that the "cooler" you are the better the rep. Generally meaning that heavy armour and heavy weapons are not-cool and flamboyant behaviour and taking out your opponent in a flashy way is cool?

nDervish

Inlägg av nDervish »

bladerunner_35 skrev: For this to make sense you need to give us a couple of examples of what gives good and bad rep.
The list is on IZv1 p.68, but it's not that long of a list, so:

No style: -1 per run
Calling in too many favors: -1 per excess favor
Hurting an innocent bystander: -1 per person hurt
Showing weakness (GM's discretion): -1 per instance of cowardice
Failing a run: -2 per failed run
Double-crossing an associate/employer: -3 per instance of betrayal
Stylish: +1 per run
Character goes out of his way to help someone: +1
Mission barely achieved: +0
Smooth run; objective achieved as planned: +1
Slick run; not only a glorious success, but there's buzz on the street about how well you did: +2
Took out a major player or uncovered a dirty secret: +3
bladerunner_35 skrev: You mentioned heavy armour and style. I assume that the "cooler" you are the better the rep. Generally meaning that heavy armour and heavy weapons are not-cool and flamboyant behaviour and taking out your opponent in a flashy way is cool?
There aren't any real guidelines in the book for what is and isn't "stylish", but my interpretation is that mirrorshades and chrome are good, looking like a member of the corporate goon squad is bad. Expensive name brands are stylish, but they can turn against you if the designer/manufacturer falls out of favor. ("O. M. G. Didn't he hear about Urban Punk massacring that orphanage in Thailand?") Knock-offs are not stylish unless they're good enough to fool people into thinking they're the real thing.

I see the "style" aspect primarily as a way to support genre convention rather than something to directly support making sub-optimal choices. Heavy armor got a special mention because it's mechanically optimal, but violates genre convention. (Look through whatever IZ books you've got. In the pics of PC-type characters, how many are wearing heavy armor? Damn few...) Heavy weapons, on the other hand, tend to be both mechanically optimal and freaking cool, so they win on both style and effectiveness.

And I do remember what you were just saying about rules tweaking, but I'm suddenly struck by just how simple it would probably be to modify Hellfrost's Glory system to replace the IZ1 Rep table...
Användarens profilbild
bladerunner_35
Kontakt:

nDervish skrev:
bladerunner_35 skrev: For this to make sense you need to give us a couple of examples of what gives good and bad rep.
The list is on IZv1 p.68, but it's not that long of a list, so:

There aren't any real guidelines in the book for what is and isn't "stylish", but my interpretation is that mirrorshades and chrome are good, looking like a member of the corporate goon squad is bad. Expensive name brands are stylish, but they can turn against you if the designer/manufacturer falls out of favor. ("O. M. G. Didn't he hear about Urban Punk massacring that orphanage in Thailand?") Knock-offs are not stylish unless they're good enough to fool people into thinking they're the real thing.

I see the "style" aspect primarily as a way to support genre convention rather than something to directly support making sub-optimal choices. Heavy armor got a special mention because it's mechanically optimal, but violates genre convention. (Look through whatever IZ books you've got. In the pics of PC-type characters, how many are wearing heavy armor? Damn few...) Heavy weapons, on the other hand, tend to be both mechanically optimal and freaking cool, so they win on both style and effectiveness.
I do not have a particular problem with this. I like the fact that you are open about the fact that it's a way to support genre convention.

With that said I think there's a number of issues that can crop up because of the rather vague rep system that we need to consider (is your rep always modified or only when someone sees you, does everyone have rep or just the "cool" crowd - meaning PCs and a few other troublemakers, is it a real value or something intangible etc., will Almighty take a hit on his rep on every mission because he sits back at his place, is it viable to play a hacker/drone jockey supporting the team from afar etc.).
nDervish skrev:And I do remember what you were just saying about rules tweaking, but I'm suddenly struck by just how simple it would probably be to modify Hellfrost's Glory system to replace the IZ1 Rep table...
I am not against tweaking the rules. Not at all. Just as long as you/we do not constantly modify or add to the rules. Mostly I just reacted to you guys talking about yet another change to the way we count ammo.

nDervish

Inlägg av nDervish »

bladerunner_35 skrev: With that said I think there's a number of issues that can crop up because of the rather vague rep system that we need to consider (is your rep always modified or only when someone sees you, does everyone have rep or just the "cool" crowd - meaning PCs and a few other troublemakers, is it a real value or something intangible etc., will Almighty take a hit on his rep on every mission because he sits back at his place, is it viable to play a hacker/drone jockey supporting the team from afar etc.).
Definitely some good questions.

Regarding when it gets modified, the Rep/Streed Cred section starts off (on p.65) with a paragraph about how great life is when your rep is solid, then one on how awful things get when your rep is trashed, and then
...thanks to Hyper Reality, if you screw the pooch on a job your street cred’ll get trashed faster than a script kiddie can hack your MyFace domain. Most cities have Media feeds dedicated to following the activities of freelancers, hackers, gangers, media icons, politicians and anyone else lookin’ to make a name for themselves in sprawls across the globe, so don’t be surprised to hear about the success or failure of your run on the way back to your squat. Hey, if you’re lucky, there won’t be any media feeds streaming real-time footage of the event into your TAP.
So it seems like it's intended to be assumed that it's always seen. (Just don't ask any questions about why the police and corpsec don't monitor these feeds to keep track of troublemakers in real time...)

That paragraph also seems to answer the question about who has Rep of this sort, but I think I'd favor treating it as an out-of-game abstraction for the public's opinion of your character rather than an in-game-visible rating tracked on some server somewhere, in which case it's less important who has or doesn't have Rep.

And I'd definitely say that Almighty/hackers/riggers who are providing active remote support in real time should be treated as if they were with the team.

(All answers are off-the-cuff and open to alternative suggestions.)
Användarens profilbild
God45
Namn: Sebastian Lindeberg

Inlägg av God45 »

I have no way to show up before 18 and I have already called in some favours and taken on extra shifts to be able to be there at all. Sorry. And if we are going to have "the talk" I would prefere you not starting without me. So can we stick to the 18.00 timeslot?
“You’d be surprised how often you have to stuff a motherfucker in a big burlap sack.”
-Spoony
Användarens profilbild
Willard
Namn: Carl-William Palmqvist

Inlägg av Willard »

Quite an agenda for Monday, looking forward to it! The stuff below is far better in a written form, though, and will really only be interesting for Dave.

This is where I'm at, pretty much...

The following all start at zero:
+1 average damage, 2 points (various sources for this: die type (exploding), dice number, bonus, AP, bonus on raise...)
+1 ROF, 3 points
+6 range, 1 point

The key derived statistics are:

Ammo (tokens), the base is equal to ROF. (The regression gave 1.15, so I'm rounding down rather than going up to the suggested 2.)
Weight (pounds) is calculated as 1.5 * average damage.
Min str (die type) is calculated as 2*round(average damage/6).

Everything from here on is open to heavy tweaking, without really affecting the model's power, but my suggestions are:

+1 ammo, 1 point
-5 weight, 2 points
-2 min str, 2 points
Heavy, 10 points
Pistol, 10 points

The cost function is also difficult for me to set, because it's not clear how wealth progresses through the game, but based on what's in the book and the points I assigned something like this worked pretty well:

price = 0.1*Points^3

I'm happy to tweak that as well, though a power function has desireable properties and it's good to keep the formula simple.

Anything else we should put in there?
Användarens profilbild
bladerunner_35
Kontakt:

God45 skrev:I have no way to show up before 18 and I have already called in some favours and taken on extra shifts to be able to be there at all. Sorry. And if we are going to have "the talk" I would prefere you not starting without me. So can we stick to the 18.00 timeslot?
18 it is!

Everyone should expect that "the talk" will take us quite a bit of time. I wouldn't expect to do any actual gaming on monday (though I am always up for some poker! ;) ).

nDervish

Inlägg av nDervish »

God45 skrev:I have no way to show up before 18 and I have already called in some favours
Hopefully not so many that it's reduced your Rep... ;)
God45 skrev:And if we are going to have "the talk" I would prefere you not starting without me.
I agree, we shouldn't start serious discussions until everyone shows up and it sounds like others would also have trouble getting there early, so 18 it is.
Willard skrev: +1 average damage, 2 points (various sources for this: die type (exploding), dice number, bonus, AP, bonus on raise...)
AP really needs to be at a lower cost, otherwise there's no reason to ever take it. (+1 damage is as good as or better than +1 AP in every situation.)

Also, I know going by average damage was my idea in the first place, but now I'm kind of wondering whether handling die size, number of dice, and flat bonus separately may have been better after all, if only to encourage designs that do 2dX+Y damage (with a very small Y) rather than 17d4 or 1d6+42. It's not a major concern, though, since I always have the option of saying, "No, that damage roll is stupid. Try again."
Willard skrev: +1 ROF, 3 points
Any thoughts on how to work non-linear ROF costs into the model in a way that would support the distribution of ROFs in the standard materials? I suppose
ROF 1 = free
ROF 2 = 5 points
ROF 3 = 6 points
ROF N = (N-1) x 3 points
is a simple way that essentially follows the same costing you came up with while discouraging ROF 2, but it feels like there's got to be some better way to do it.
Willard skrev: -2 min str, 2 points
I'd probably write that as -1 die type to avoid ambiguity.
Willard skrev: Pistol, 10 points
That one seems a little odd to me, but I do understand where it comes from. (Pistols aren't necessarily more expensive than longarms, but they do tend to be lower-performance.)

It still feels like pistols should have shorter range and higher min str, but +10 points for being a pistol is probably close enough to equivalent and much simpler than applying modifiers to range/min str.
Willard skrev: price = 0.1*Points^3

I'm happy to tweak that as well, though a power function has desireable properties and it's good to keep the formula simple.
At first glance, I like it. I'd been expecting price to increase with the square of point cost, but if you think cubing it fits better, than that's even better. (Gotta keep the uber-weapons plenty expensive, after all!)
Willard skrev: Anything else we should put in there?
Several weapons have strange little details, like the AGA Thunderbolt giving +1 to Intimidation rolls, or that Wastelander pistol with the built-in battleaxe, but I doubt it's necessary to explicitly handle those kinds of things. A little ad hoc judgment is probably the best way to deal with them.

I'd also like to come up with something along the lines of the Price and Flaws table on p.27 of the golemmechs book, but that's not an immediate priority.

Thanks for putting this together!
Användarens profilbild
Willard

Inlägg av Willard »

nDervish skrev:AP really needs to be at a lower cost, otherwise there's no reason to ever take it. (+1 damage is as good as or better than +1 AP in every situation.)
Sure. There's no good way to squeeze that number out of the data, at least I haven't succeeded, but I guess +1 AP for 1 point would do.
nDervish skrev:Also, I know going by average damage was my idea in the first place, but now I'm kind of wondering whether handling die size, number of dice, and flat bonus separately may have been better after all, if only to encourage designs that do 2dX+Y damage (with a very small Y) rather than 17d4 or 1d6+42. It's not a major concern, though, since I always have the option of saying, "No, that damage roll is stupid. Try again."
Yeah... I'm not sure. If you really want to subsidise dice instead of flat damage you could do that by not accounting for the exploding dice in your averaging. I think people will prefer dice anyway, because of the static armor/toughness, but I really don't know. Another thing is that everything will be bought as upgrades, incrementally. I imagine that'll make you sometimes pick another die, sometimes the die type, and sometimes a flat bonus. Again I can't say that for sure, of course, and it may prove wrong.

For now it should be ok to just try it out and use some common sense, and if everyone goes for one kind of damage then that should probably be tweaked.
nDervish skrev:Any thoughts on how to work non-linear ROF costs into the model in a way that would support the distribution of ROFs in the standard materials? I suppose
ROF 1 = free
ROF 2 = 5 points
ROF 3 = 6 points
ROF N = (N-1) x 3 points
is a simple way that essentially follows the same costing you came up with while discouraging ROF 2, but it feels like there's got to be some better way to do it.
Not really. Anything like that is going to be messy, and I don't think the linearity is really a problem.

This is a good place to note that the starting point is a two-handed melee weapon with an average of 0 damage. I'd like to keep the same system for melee and ranged weapons, so one other parameter should be [max str added to damage] or something like that, starting at 0. For a combo range/melee weapon like a riflesword, shotgun hammer and the like I'd probably allow the damage to be used for either. ROF and range will only apply to ranged shots anyway, so melee or not will still matter.

nDervish skrev:I'd probably write that as -1 die type to avoid ambiguity.
Absolutely, just stuck in the numbers rut...

nDervish skrev:That one seems a little odd to me, but I do understand where it comes from. (Pistols aren't necessarily more expensive than longarms, but they do tend to be lower-performance.)

It still feels like pistols should have shorter range and higher min str, but +10 points for being a pistol is probably close enough to equivalent and much simpler than applying modifiers to range/min str.
Yeah, that's exactly what I aimed for. Not sure how high the number should be, but so long as you pay for the one hand capability (need to rephrase to allow for one-handed melee weapons) it will be less powerful, which is as it should be.
nDervish skrev:At first glance, I like it. I'd been expecting price to increase with the square of point cost, but if you think cubing it fits better, than that's even better. (Gotta keep the uber-weapons plenty expensive, after all!)
It did for that particular distribution of points, some slight changes resulted in something like 0.8*x^2.5, and of course there are many other versions that can work. Squaring can probably work if you put a higher constant in front.
nDervish skrev:Several weapons have strange little details, like the AGA Thunderbolt giving +1 to Intimidation rolls, or that Wastelander pistol with the built-in battleaxe, but I doubt it's necessary to explicitly handle those kinds of things. A little ad hoc judgment is probably the best way to deal with them.
That was one of those things I wanted to do but forgot. A bonus to skill rolls! Fighting/Shooting are obvious, but I don't see any reason to prohibit the rest. Something like 4 or 6 points perhaps? Also the possibility of reducing various situational penalties for half of that.
nDervish skrev:I'd also like to come up with something along the lines of the Price and Flaws table on p.27 of the golemmechs book, but that's not an immediate priority.
I think that's just overly complicated and randomly messes with key pieces of equipment. It also doesn't mesh with my picture of how the items come into being.
nDervish skrev:Thanks for putting this together!
Sure! I want to turn to armor as well, so we can customize all of our key stuff and look really stylish :D
nDervish

Inlägg av nDervish »

Willard skrev:
nDervish skrev:now I'm kind of wondering whether handling die size, number of dice, and flat bonus separately may have been better after all, if only to encourage designs that do 2dX+Y damage (with a very small Y) rather than 17d4 or 1d6+42
Yeah... I'm not sure. If you really want to subsidise dice instead of flat damage you could do that by not accounting for the exploding dice in your averaging.
I didn't mean to subsidize dice, but rather to encourage damage rolls to generally be exactly two dice, which is the norm for the substantial majority of SW weapons. Melee weapons are almost always your Strength die plus one other die, while the large majority of ranged weapons are 2dX, not 1dX or 3dX (although ranged weapons deviate from that norm far more often than melee weapons do).

This is, IMO, the primary weakness of the methods you're using. You may be able to plot a very well-fitting curve showing "2d8 costs X, 3d8 costs Y, 4d8 costs Z...", but then you only seem to be concerned with describing that curve and not with the detail that, aside from shotguns (which do 1-3 dice depending on range), every single weapon listed in the Ranged Weapons table (new equipment chapter p.85) does 2dN damage. To me, that makes a fairly strong statement that non-heavy weapon (not to be confused with Heavy Weapon :P) firearms should all do 2dN damage, or at least be substantially incentivized to roll exactly two dice, regardless of how linear the pricing curve might otherwise be.
Willard skrev: I'd like to keep the same system for melee and ranged weapons, so one other parameter should be [max str added to damage] or something like that, starting at 0.
SW RAW doesn't have any parameter like that. You either add your Strength to damage or you don't. I think that putting a cap on added Strength would be an unnecessary complication providing little benefit.
Willard skrev: For a combo range/melee weapon like a riflesword, shotgun hammer and the like I'd probably allow the damage to be used for either.
I wouldn't. Making the rifle part shoot really huge bullets isn't going to make the sword part do significantly more damage.
Willard skrev: Yeah, that's exactly what I aimed for. Not sure how high the number should be, but so long as you pay for the one hand capability (need to rephrase to allow for one-handed melee weapons) it will be less powerful, which is as it should be.
Have you looked at Savage Armoury? If not, I'd highly recommend it, if only to see how Zadmar handled 1- vs. 2-handed weapons. (Basically, everything is 1-handed by default, but you can spend a point to make it 2-handed and choose from a list of bonuses that the 2-handedness could provide - longer range, higher damage, etc.)
Willard skrev: It did for that particular distribution of points, some slight changes resulted in something like 0.8*x^2.5, and of course there are many other versions that can work. Squaring can probably work if you put a higher constant in front.
Nope, no need to rescale for squaring. I like cubing better.
Willard skrev: That was one of those things I wanted to do but forgot. A bonus to skill rolls! Fighting/Shooting are obvious, but I don't see any reason to prohibit the rest. Something like 4 or 6 points perhaps? Also the possibility of reducing various situational penalties for half of that.
I think that might be handled better by adding tactical rails and accessories to avoid issues over "Does the +1 that I built into my gun stack with the +1 from a laser sight?"

I also don't think it can reasonably have a single fixed price for "+1 to a skill". Putting a compass and some minor supplies in the butt of your rifle (+1 Survival) is nowhere near as expensive as adding high-performance sights (+1 Shooting).

Finally, this is one case where linear costs are completely inappropriate. A +2 in SW is a much, much bigger deal than a +1.
Willard skrev:
nDervish skrev:I'd also like to come up with something along the lines of the Price and Flaws table on p.27 of the golemmechs book, but that's not an immediate priority.
I think that's just overly complicated and randomly messes with key pieces of equipment
You say "randomly messes with", I say "adds an element of risk". Two of your earlier arguments in favor of it not being a big deal if you have enough money to buy everything in the catalog were that "it doesn't stack" and "I can't carry everything with me at once". Well, with this system, it does stack and you can carry every imaginable capability with you at once (given sufficient cash to afford the high resulting point cost). Those are pretty big rewards, so there should be some risk involved as well.

If you want to mitigate that risk, buy multiple weapons and only upgrade one at a time. When an upgrade introduces a flaw, use a different gun until you're able to get the flawed gun back to the workshop and repair it. (Note that I don't mean the flaws to be permanent.) Other characters would likely deal with this by getting their weapon to the point where it does everything they need and then leave well enough alone instead of risking problems by tweaking it further.
Willard skrev: It also doesn't mesh with my picture of how the items come into being.
What's your picture of how the items come into being?

Mine goes something like "This 9mm pistol just isn't doing the job any more. I think I'll take it in and rechamber it for 12mm and maybe mount an extended barrel while I'm at it." When you're doing that kind of work, there's a chance that something will end up misaligned, the parts could have a minor incompatibility, etc. The end result won't be perfect every time.
nDervish

Inlägg av nDervish »

Oh, and I forgot to add a few more things that you haven't described yet in your point system:

Shotguns
Snapfire penalties
Move or Shoot
Semi, 3RB, and Auto tags
Weapons with multiple ammo types which do substantially different damage (mostly heavy weapons)
Blast/cone templates
Användarens profilbild
Willard

Inlägg av Willard »

nDervish skrev:I didn't mean to subsidize dice, but rather to encourage damage rolls to generally be exactly two dice, which is the norm for the substantial majority of SW weapons. Melee weapons are almost always your Strength die plus one other die, while the large majority of ranged weapons are 2dX, not 1dX or 3dX (although ranged weapons deviate from that norm far more often than melee weapons do).
I've included a bunch of energy weapons and such which have three or more dice. Getting that high is expensive, but then we're building this to allow for crazy expensive and powerful weapons.
nDervish skrev:SW RAW doesn't have any parameter like that. You either add your Strength to damage or you don't. I think that putting a cap on added Strength would be an unnecessary complication providing little benefit.
Maybe not in SW, but in D&D it's standard for composite bows. Of course those are ranged, but it's easy to argue that a pen knife shouldn't have your strength die added for damage, that a dagger lets you put some more weight behind it, and so on until the really high levels. The benefit is that you can calculate it step by step as added damage, rather than some broad and arbitrary number.
nDervish skrev:I wouldn't. Making the rifle part shoot really huge bullets isn't going to make the sword part do significantly more damage.
Watch some more anime! :D A rifle with huge bullets is going to be huge, and the bayonet/sword edge will be too. While those things may not make a lot of sense, they do make life a lot easier without really affecting the balance.
nDervish skrev:Have you looked at Savage Armoury? If not, I'd highly recommend it, if only to see how Zadmar handled 1- vs. 2-handed weapons. (Basically, everything is 1-handed by default, but you can spend a point to make it 2-handed and choose from a list of bonuses that the 2-handedness could provide - longer range, higher damage, etc.)
No, I don't have access to that. It sort of makes sense to start with one hand and then move up, but mechanically I think it's a lot easier to go this route instead.
nDervish skrev:Nope, no need to rescale for squaring. I like cubing better.
Ok, yeah, those seem to provide better fits overall.
nDervish skrev:I think that might be handled better by adding tactical rails and accessories to avoid issues over "Does the +1 that I built into my gun stack with the +1 from a laser sight?"

I also don't think it can reasonably have a single fixed price for "+1 to a skill". Putting a compass and some minor supplies in the butt of your rifle (+1 Survival) is nowhere near as expensive as adding high-performance sights (+1 Shooting).

Finally, this is one case where linear costs are completely inappropriate. A +2 in SW is a much, much bigger deal than a +1.
What I'm trying to do is include the accessories in the weapons, so we don't need to browse through poorly structured lists from various sources to get benefits that aren't harmonized with the rest of the system. (Maybe a little too harsh, but it is one of the major ideas. The extras are included.)

Since the conversion from points to credits is already cubed I don't think we need to sweat the non-linear nature of skills even more, at least not if we put a pretty high point tag on the bonuses. That'll take care of itself, though we may want to opt for something closer to 6 points per bonus rather than 2 or 4.
nDervish skrev:You say "randomly messes with", I say "adds an element of risk". Two of your earlier arguments in favor of it not being a big deal if you have enough money to buy everything in the catalog were that "it doesn't stack" and "I can't carry everything with me at once". Well, with this system, it does stack and you can carry every imaginable capability with you at once (given sufficient cash to afford the high resulting point cost). Those are pretty big rewards, so there should be some risk involved as well.
Again, remember the cubing! That cost is going to reach astronomical sums pretty quickly if you don't watch it. The idea is to build iconic weapons that you will identify with and carry with you always, again like so many anime's. Not a very western version of cyberpunk, perhaps, but still. And stylish! I guess it wouldn't be that hard or bad to introduce some risk at every upgrade however, and possibly even fun.
nDervish skrev: If you want to mitigate that risk, buy multiple weapons and only upgrade one at a time. When an upgrade introduces a flaw, use a different gun until you're able to get the flawed gun back to the workshop and repair it. (Note that I don't mean the flaws to be permanent.) Other characters would likely deal with this by getting their weapon to the point where it does everything they need and then leave well enough alone instead of risking problems by tweaking it further.
While the cubing may provide an incentive to buy several similar level weapons instead of one big one, the idea is to have something iconic and unic. Not something that you want to put down for a bunch of missions. As long as the penalties are interesting and possible to cope with I guess it wouldn't really hurt to throw them in there now and then, and that table doesn't look so bad.
nDervish skrev:What's your picture of how the items come into being?

Mine goes something like "This 9mm pistol just isn't doing the job any more. I think I'll take it in and rechamber it for 12mm and maybe mount an extended barrel while I'm at it." When you're doing that kind of work, there's a chance that something will end up misaligned, the parts could have a minor incompatibility, etc. The end result won't be perfect every time.
Sure, I guess it starts something like that. And then it grows a little bit every time you get a pay check, gradually turning into an incredibly unique and complex machine. As I've said in the last few segments I suppose it's not unreasonable for there to sometimes be complications, but they should at least be temporary (not that you've said otherwise).

So sure, let's have there be some risk of malfunction at every upgrade. Let's make it significant to boost the level of grit, and let's leave the consequences to GM discretion. How's that for an element of risk? :D
Användarens profilbild
Willard

Inlägg av Willard »

Well, as with the one-handedness, heavy weapon status and a few other things, none of the things you list now are really possible to tease out of the existing weapons. There are too many variables and too few examples. Still...

Shotguns and other weapons where damage depends on range can probably be handled without too much trouble by a generous interpretation of the average damage ruling.

Snapfire, semi, 3RB and auto I would tie directly to the ROF. 1, 2, 3, 3 respectively. I might like to kick auto up to 4, but that's probably outside the weapons model.

Multiple ammo types and other combo weapons I suppose would be handled by designing and paying for another weapon with the desired properties, then adding it to the other one. The same for melee/ranged combos.

Adding a template should cost a certain, fairly high, number of points. We could say 10 for now, in line with Heavy etc. Expanding it one step (whatever the sizes are) costs the same number of points, as usual.

Move or shoot could be the default, also eliminated by something like 10 points.

A tweak that I'd like to make is for weight to be a function of both damage and ammo capacity. Probably their product. In addition to the obvious reason it helps make heavy weapons heavy, and balances excessive ROF and spare ammo capacity. And min str requirements should depend on weight, not damage. From the sample min str is about 1/6 of weight, that seems fine.
nDervish

Inlägg av nDervish »

Willard skrev: I've included a bunch of energy weapons and such which have three or more dice. Getting that high is expensive, but then we're building this to allow for crazy expensive and powerful weapons.
You're thinking only of the high end. Pricing based only on average damage means that 1d12+1, 2d6, and 3d4-1 all come out about the same, but the standards established by existing SW weapons say that it should almost always be 2d6, very rarely 3d4-1, and never d12+1. (I'm not 100% certain, but I'm pretty sure I've never seen a published SW weapon that rolls only a single die for damage.)
Willard skrev: The benefit is that you can calculate it step by step as added damage, rather than some broad and arbitrary number.
The drawbacks are:
  1. It introduces the exact issue you raised when Min Str first came up: If I have Strength d6, then I would only buy my melee weapons up to a Max Added Str of d6 because anything beyond that would substantially increase the weapon cost, but provide no benefit.
  2. I've already paid for higher melee damage by spending Advances to raise my Strength. Why should I have to pay for it again with higher weapon costs?
  3. Umm... I know I had a third one, but I forgot... :oops:
Willard skrev: Watch some more anime! :D A rifle with huge bullets is going to be huge, and the bayonet/sword edge will be too.
I've watched plenty of anime. If you want anime logic, I can run a one-shot of Tenra Bansho Zero, Mazaki no Fantaji, or (when it's released) OVA sometime. Or maybe even attempt an anime-themed session of Roll for Shoes. But this is not that game.

Also, as a mechanical matter, one of the balancing factors between one- and two-handed ranged weapons is that two-handed ranged weapons can't be used to shoot someone who is in melee with you. If you say "put a tiny little blade on your 47d10 rifle and now you do that same 47d10 in melee", then it completely negates that restriction.
Willard skrev: While those things may not make a lot of sense, they do make life a lot easier without really affecting the balance.
This statement neatly encapsulates the differences of opinion we're having here, and does so much more cleanly and concisely than the "weakness of your methods" comment in my previous post.

You've found an elegant formula that neatly describes the primary characteristics of a broad range of weapons and want to force everything else to fit into that formula. I'm trying to model something resembling reality and also to preserve the full range of options and details provided by Savage Worlds while extending those systems to cover more possibilities.

You're focused on balance and simplicity, with making sense an optional extra. I'm focused on making sense and willing to accept a more-or-less arbitrary level of complexity to attain rough (but not necessarily exact) balance. (Design-time complexity is purely an out-of-game factor and I can write software to automate it away anyhow.)
Willard skrev:
nDervish skrev:Have you looked at Savage Armoury?
No, I don't have access to that.
http://www.godwars2.org/SavageWorlds/SavageArmoury.pdf
Willard skrev: What I'm trying to do is include the accessories in the weapons, so we don't need to browse through poorly structured lists from various sources to get benefits that aren't harmonized with the rest of the system. (Maybe a little too harsh, but it is one of the major ideas. The extras are included.)
One of your first comments when the topic of designing a customizable weapon system was "modularity is the future". Where is the modularity in requiring that a laser sight be hardwired into your gun, where it shall remain for all time, rather than mounting it on tactical rails so that you can take five minutes to remove it and replace it with a flashlight or a smartlink adaptor or some other accessory that might be more useful in a given circumstance?
Willard skrev: And then it grows a little bit every time you get a pay check,
This is actually something that I want to avoid, at least in general. While it's certainly appropriate for a gun nut/tinkerer-type character to be making constant adjustments, it should not be an automatic thing that everyone says "I just got another few thousand credits - time to upgrade my gun!" after every job.
Willard skrev: Shotguns and other weapons where damage depends on range can probably be handled without too much trouble by a generous interpretation of the average damage ruling.
There's more to the shotgun rules than just variable damage. They also have short ranges (how meaningful is range-based damage dropoff if your short range is a kilometer?) and get a +2 to hit - unless you're firing slugs, in which case damage is constant, there's no bonus to hit, and (at least in IZ) you can get substantially longer range if you have a rifled barrel.
Willard skrev: Snapfire, semi, 3RB and auto I would tie directly to the ROF. 1, 2, 3, 3 respectively. I might like to kick auto up to 4, but that's probably outside the weapons model.
Erm... Go reread SWD 48-49 and see what those weapon qualities actually do before writing them off as just a side-effect of ROF:
  • Only a tiny, tiny fraction of ROF 1 weapons are subject to Snapfire penalties. ("Snapfire Penalty: Certain weapons, such as sniper rifles, are very inaccurate if fired “from the hip” rather than using their excellent sights or scopes. If the character moves in the action he fires, he suffers a –2 penalty.")
  • Semi-Auto, by definition, is only applicable to ROF 1 weapons; any weapon with ROF 2 or higher is full-auto. And not all ROF 1 weapons are Semi-Auto. Revolvers, single-shot weapons, and the like are not.
  • While ROF 3 is the minimum needed to have 3RB capability, many ROF 3+ weapons do not have it.
  • As I mentioned in passing a page or two back, the Auto quality is misleadingly named. It does not mean "this is a full-auto weapon" or "this weapon has a high rate of fire", but, rather, it means "this full-auto weapon can also fire single shots". That is clearly not a side-effect of a high ROF. On the contrary, weapons with higher ROF tend to be less likely to have Auto.
Willard skrev: Multiple ammo types and other combo weapons I suppose would be handled by designing and paying for another weapon with the desired properties, then adding it to the other one. The same for melee/ranged combos.
So a shotgun is really nine different weapons all glued together? It can fire standard shot, flechette, inferno shot, sunder slug, standard slug, rifled slug, saboted slug, tazer slug, or tracker slug ammunition, each with its own damage values and special properties.

When I initially mentioned multiple ammo types, I was actually thinking about weapons like the AGA Mjolnir AMR (new equipment chapter 86), which can fire either APDSF or high explosive ammo, but I had just mentioned shotguns, whose characteristics are influenced even more heavily by changing to a different type of ammo. Plus there are nine ammo types, making for a much more absurd example. :D (Come to think of it, a grenade launcher would probably have even more ammo types and more variation in properties than a shotgun...)
Willard skrev: Move or shoot could be the default, also eliminated by something like 10 points.
First off, my mistake on the name. IZ sometimes calls this "Move or Shoot", but it's "May not move" in SWD core.

"May not move" is applied to tripod-mounted weapons and the like, where you simply can't move and fire in the same round, at all (even beyond the limitations of Snapfire). This is clearly not the default.
Willard skrev: A tweak that I'd like to make is for weight to be a function of both damage and ammo capacity. Probably their product. In addition to the obvious reason it helps make heavy weapons heavy, and balances excessive ROF and spare ammo capacity.
I had been thinking slightly differently about it, that the calculated weapon weight is the weight of the weapon alone and the loaded weight would be increased by 1.25 lb (i.e., 1/4 SI, per earlier discussions) per ammo token.

Weight = Damage x Ammo gets absurdly heavy absurdly quickly. Replacing an M-16's 2 lb standard magazine with a 4 lb extended magazine does not cause the loaded weapon to increase from 8 lbs to 16 lbs.
Willard skrev: And min str requirements should depend on weight, not damage.
Encumbrance already deals with how strong you need to be to carry the weapon.

Given that the SWD rules state that, when firing a ranged weapon whose Min Str is greater than your Strength, you take a -1 to hit for each die type of difference (SWD 49) and that this penalty is negated if the weapon is braced, it seems clear to me that Min Str on firearms models the difficulty of controlling the recoil, not just the weight of carrying the weapon. Min Str should, therefore, be based primarily on damage, perhaps with ROF also factoring in. If weight figures in at all, it should lower the Min Str. (Higher inertial mass makes it easier to control the recoil. But I'm sure the effect is so small that it's not worth modeling.)
nDervish

Inlägg av nDervish »

A couple posts from DavidJ (the IZ lead developer) on the official Savage Worlds forum today:

http://www.peginc.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 6&p=398845
http://www.peginc.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 6&p=398862

The first is actually a thread where someone else asked about "what's the most recent version of everything?" DavidJ's answer was:
Right now, all of the beta test documents I've released to date with the exception of the most recent Equipment chapter are outdated.

I won't be releasing any more beta test pdfs, either, as we're getting close to the release of IZ 2.0
Skriv svar